Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Is Too much Homework Bad For Students? (Research Paper)

     Homework is a popular issue in these modern times. Students and parents are complaining of the amount of homework teachers are giving to their students. Both sides of the issue are fighting strongly with good points on each side. In my opinion, I believe that we students are receiving too much homework. Thats why I made some research, I am searching through many articles, checking both sides for thier stories and what not. Overloading Homework still remains an issue but maybe you could be more aware of the issues families are having and also believe it or not teachers.


Too much Homework can affect students depending on their style of learning. Some students prefer to do a lot of homework and others don’t. I for one don’t like learning by doing a lot of homework, it’s very stressful, tiring, time consuming, etc.  I’m not the only person with the same problem as me, there are many individuals that have my problem.

Kalish and her middle school daughter spend a ridiculous time each day doing homework. Kalish is disappointed that her daughter is spending more time on homework than her time with the family. Her daughter receives too much stress and what was once a cheerful school loving student, now gloomy and hates school. Kalish got together with another stressed out mother that has the same issue as her. Together they wrote a book called The Case Against Homework: How Homework Is Hurting Our Children and What We Can Do About It (out this month from Crown).  This book spread word and many parents, educators, students had discussions about how problems like this could be resolved.
  
There is another mother with a 12 year old daughter that got fed up after doing more than an hour of homework.  Her daughter did not understand anything she was doing and so her time was wasted. This shows that homework doesn’t really help you in many ways. Homework won’t always answer your questions. If this was all done in class, the student could get face to face time, therefore ask questions and understand the material.

I understand that too much homework is not completely a teacher’s fault. There is definitely some issue on the students side, for example a student most consult their teacher saying they are receiving too much homework and that it should be cut down a bit. Im positive that the teacher will consider it and if he/she gets complains from other students he/she will definitely change their homework distribution. I have a personal experience of an issue with my teacher regarding too much homework. She would give my class more than 2 hours of homework each day! I found out that all that homework was changing my schedule plans. I had no time to spend with my family, I always eat later than usual trying to get my homework finished, it stops me from physical exercise, and the main reason is because I get many projects and tests, which build up on the homework time.

I have done a lot of research looking through many books and articles on this topic. I have found ways to resolve problems with too much homework. You should always consult your teacher if the homework that is given is too much for you. If this doesn’t work, try to manage your time better by prioritizing, this will help you to plan out your day so you get the most important tasks first, then you will have some time to yourself after. If your not understanding something you get for homework, it will be a good idea to ask your teacher the day after or you could get a tutor to help you. All these ideas could help you. You should definitely keep these in mind if you’re having an overload of homework issue.


        Although Homework has pros and cons, people will still stick to their opinions. I also am sticking with my theory. Homework is a matter of attitude, wether you like doing homework or not. If homework is something you love, then you won't have problems with doing more of it, and the vice versa.




1 comment: